Monday, December 24, 2012

What do I remember?

Carrie Elizabeth (Wilson) Patton would be 103 today (December 24th). She was married to one man (Matt), and had two children (Laverne and Robert).  She was also my "Nanny".  Nanny passed away 14 years ago.  I was 24 years old.  At times it feels like forever ago, and then there are days it seems like yesterday.  Funny how our memories can be skewed over time.  My daughter loves to hear stories about people in her family.  She mostly wants to hear about things that have happened before she was born or before she can remember.  So, I pondered tonight...

What do I remember?....
I remember her infectious smile.  I see it in my own daughter Carrie Elizabeth. 
I remember her love God when I hear an old gospel from the "red backed hymnal".
I remember her fried apple pies dusted with sugar, but can't recall how to make them.
I remember her veggies from the garden lasting well into the winter because she was prepared.
I remember how strong she looked after working all day in the yard.
I remember her letting my brother and I "ride a horse" on her bent leg, and begging her to ride us "HIGHER AND FASTER NANNY!"
I remember how much she loved me.

As I sit and reflect on my thoughts of her this evening,  I thank God for her example.  She loved the Lord with all her heart, mind, soul, and strength.  She worshiped with all her might.  It didn't matter if she was in church, the kitchen, or the yard.  She always had a song  or a prayer on her lips. "Some glad morning, when this life is over, I'll fly away".....

I pray you will find Him this Christmas Eve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment